So, life update: I love my job, my masters degree is going great, and I am good.
It has been quite a bit of time since I last wrote a blog post, but I thought since we are coming up on the holiday season, and my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving, I thought I would give it another shot.
I guess you could call this a Thankfulness post?!
There is so much to be thankful for this year and here are just a few things.
- This time a year ago, almost exactly, I was contemplating what to do with my life, as graduation from undergrad was only a month away. It was a terrifying time, and I as happy as I was to go through those massive anxiety filled few months, I am glad that I have less stressful life goals to consider now. For those who do not know, I have come to the decision of becoming a Future BCBA, or Board Certified Behavioral Analyst! I am thankful that I have chosen a career path that brings me joy everyday and allows me to make a difference in kiddos lives. (Please see my previous blog for more info on my career field)
- The kiddos I work with are AMAZING! Each one of them is spectacular in their own way, and there are unique things about each one of them that make me excited to be the person that helps them reach their goals. I am thankful to see the growth in my kiddos every day, even baby steps.
- I love working with big kiddos. I was first introduced to this field by working with older kids, which is why they hold a special place in my heart, and no day is the same. Practicing social skills, playing board games, and working on other daily life skills that can be challenging for children with ASD are just some of the things I do with my big kids. Social skills are one of the funniest programs I work on, in my opinion, because kids come up with some crazy things to say, and everyday I always look forward to what is going to come out of their mouths next. (Ex. Talking to my big kid, and she says, “Ms. Caitlin, when I am 1000 years old, like you, I hope to look as good as you do.” However, the next day, I get told by the same child that I could pass as a 12 year old.)
- Not only is my big kid super cool, but I now have the opportunity to work with Littles, and let me tell you, it is some of the most exhausting fun I have ever had. I never realized how much energy littles had until I had the chance to work with them one on one. It is ASTOUNDING how quickly my littles pick up on things that they are taught. They are like sponges, and it is so cool to watch them start to understand concepts or programs that were just introduced in a matter of hours.
- My co-workers are pretty rad as well. While I have had jobs in the past, with awesome co-workers, I have never been more excited to go to my job and work with some crazy talented people. I get to work with people who I can look up to and aspire to be like one day, as they have been some great role models. It is a true blessing to work at a company that values its employees and pushes us to be the best version of ourselves. Without the support and friendship of my co-workers, I can almost guarantee that I would not be as good at my job as I currently am. So I am thankful for co-workers who I can call friends and supporters!
- My degree is going swell. Just to think, a year ago, I was almost done with undergrad, and now I am three weeks away from being done with my first semester of my Masters degree. That’s insane. As challenging as it has been to take three classes, compared to the recommended two, I am so excited to pursue higher education. In three short semesters, or as I like to think about it, by NEXT DECEMBER, I will have an MA in Applied Behavioral Analysis! WHAT!!? I have learned much in these past few months, and I have tried to soak it all in. Don’t get me wrong, I will be excited when I am officially done with school, but for now, I am happy for the chance to learn and actually go to school, as I know that some people are unable to do so. I am thankful and blessed for the opportunity to grow so I can make the best possible BCBA and prepare myself to be successful in the future.
- I am good. Truly and utterly good. And not only that, but I am happy. A few months ago, I had a friend tell me that I was “Thriving” and I honestly didn’t believe her at that time, however, I can see where she is coming from now. Life these past few months has been busy, and chaotic, and stressful, but it has also been fun, and joyful, and exciting. Some days are better then others, of course, but I overall happy with where God has me at the moment. I know there are big things ahead, I can feel them coming, but I am trying my hardest to live in the moment as much as possible. As excited as I am to see where I will be on the upcoming few months, weather it be with work, school, or life in general, I am thrilled to see where I will be in just the next few weeks, days, and hours. I am thankful that I am happy and good and for all the positive things in my life at the moment.
Thanksgiving is upon us this week, and there is so much that I have to be thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving!